[life] of holy images, flat tyres and burnt toast
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Today, everything is going wrong and it’s still morning. I usually collect my best mate and we go to Ikea for a coffee and a bite to eat and to chew the fat over this and that. A number of things happened today.
Firstly, leaving the car park, my front passenger side tyre suddenly deflated. No problem. Next, only one part of the jack was there. Next, the bolts were rusted. No problem – find a piece of metal tubing to put over the star spanner.
Spanner broke. OK, no problem. I have another. Finally the bolts give and the wheel is changed.
Firstly, leaving the car park, my front passenger side tyre suddenly deflated. No problem. Next, only one part of the jack was there. Next, the bolts were rusted. No problem – find a piece of metal tubing to put over the star spanner.
Spanner broke. OK, no problem. I have another. Finally the bolts give and the wheel is changed.
It goes flat.
I don’t know why it goes flat, it just goes flat. OK, it’s raining and in this carpark, the dirt has now become a quagmire. It’s over the arms, trousers, shirt, everywhere.
So out comes the little pump they supply you with, with the plastic nozzle, which is broken. OK. Hold it onto the valve and foot pump at the same time. Eventually we get to Ikea and as always, we have a discussion paper to - er - discuss. Today's is Tom Cruise [the last posting].
Somewhere along the line, the point is made about getting on with life and doing good – helping little ladies across the road. I get back home, switch on the computer and go into my blog and there’s a comment, about the Cruise affair:
“I'm now off to help old ladies across the road to get some balance back in my life.”
Now is that uncanny or is that uncanny? Then up comes the photo of this post, in the Melbourne Age, with the question: “Is this the image of Jesus?’
As a known serial Christian, not unlike ‘as a known serial killer’, I’m hardly likely to be irreverent. And yet look at this photo and the question again. See what they're getting at?
Now the fact that this photo was there at all raises the question of why those who purport to be of the opposite or of a different persuasion, persist in their mocking and debunking activities? Surely it’s something you either take or leave? Why go on and on about it for 2000 years? Why write, in big letters, across the inner wall of your holy place ‘Jesus is not the messiah?’
I mean, why not just let well alone, say nothing and hope the offending name will die away of its own accord? Do I go around telling you that baal is a nobody, a nothing? Or that the statues of Easter Island are hardly objects of veneration?
So out comes the little pump they supply you with, with the plastic nozzle, which is broken. OK. Hold it onto the valve and foot pump at the same time. Eventually we get to Ikea and as always, we have a discussion paper to - er - discuss. Today's is Tom Cruise [the last posting].
Somewhere along the line, the point is made about getting on with life and doing good – helping little ladies across the road. I get back home, switch on the computer and go into my blog and there’s a comment, about the Cruise affair:
“I'm now off to help old ladies across the road to get some balance back in my life.”
Now is that uncanny or is that uncanny? Then up comes the photo of this post, in the Melbourne Age, with the question: “Is this the image of Jesus?’
As a known serial Christian, not unlike ‘as a known serial killer’, I’m hardly likely to be irreverent. And yet look at this photo and the question again. See what they're getting at?
Now the fact that this photo was there at all raises the question of why those who purport to be of the opposite or of a different persuasion, persist in their mocking and debunking activities? Surely it’s something you either take or leave? Why go on and on about it for 2000 years? Why write, in big letters, across the inner wall of your holy place ‘Jesus is not the messiah?’
I mean, why not just let well alone, say nothing and hope the offending name will die away of its own accord? Do I go around telling you that baal is a nobody, a nothing? Or that the statues of Easter Island are hardly objects of veneration?
Now, I’m afraid I must go, as I’ve just burnt the toast and the airconditioner's just gone on the blink. None of this I'm making up, I swear it.
Footnote: In the process of posting this, I burnt a second round of toast and this time the atmosphere is acrid while I push 'Publish Post'.
posted by James Higham at 10:45
![]()
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home